Thursday, December 18, 2008

A Fun Few Days...

Today was a fun day.

We got to officially let out where we are going next, and it was fun to hear from everyone who heard. I spent a couple hours fielding texts and calls from friends--Most because I texted them and basically MADE them respond, like "Hey we're moving there, aren't you jazzed?

After that I went to work, and my friend Dawg, who we've been stationed with three times and has flown with Kevin a lot of years, well he dropped by with a gift and to say congrats. He gave me a guidebook to our new state, New Mexico Off The Beaten Path. Oh, we'll be off the beaten path all right...way off. It was very fun of him.

"Enjoy this," he said. "No wine bars where you're going." I know it, and I am. Not a wine bar or Pilates machine within 500 miles of our new town I am sure, but the flying will be great for Kevin. They love to fly the best jets over deserts... I'll have to find some other things to do...like maybe WRITE more?

Then Kevin, who is free for three weeks for Christmas break and has that whole "I'm out of school" attitude, came by and invited me out for a drink at the super swanky place on the next block after work. I've been wanting to go there since we moved here, they are the hottest place around and have an awesome reputation with the prices to match. We had a great time. The bartender there recognized me from my work and gave me some professional courtesy on the bill--maybe I am a part of the club now after all? She was so cool at her job, she made me kind of want to work up to bartender in a swanky place--but as I've said, that won't be available for at least the next couple of years. It was easy to see why they are the best place in the whole area--very nice drinks, great food, easy atmosphere and some conversation...my place is like the little sister to this accomplished locale.

It was slow tonight at my wine bar--surprising, since it's been busier and busier during the holidays--but the weather is chilly and there are a lot of holiday parties. Apparently people are staying in.

And last night Kevin and I went for a great anniversary dinner at another of Old Town's amazing restaurants--we got four courses with the wine pairing. It was very fun and very delicious. We're headed to NYC in a couple days to continue celebrating, and I am getting all kinds of recommendations for places to eat and drink from my co-workers, all of whom know food and drink better than anyone I've ever hung out with.

I reserved a dog-friendly boutique hotel near Central Park--Yes, I think the whole family is going, I like us to all be together. I hear they're getting a "wintry mix" snow storm Sunday during our drive up--it could be ugly. Who cares once we get there, we'll be in NEW YORK CITY for crying out loud! I'll wear a hat and gloves, and I might even put a jacket on the dog. We'll be fine. The night prior we're going to a fundraiser in Georgetown that doesn't even start until 9pm, and we're advised to bring dancing shoes...haven't worn those since we left Vegas. I'm looking forward to it, but it might cause us to get a late start....

So we're moving again in June, it's very soon. There's some pain in that. Yes, that part hasn't sunk in yet...it seems like we just got here and I just got my life together. I'll have to deal with that soon, yes I will.

But THAT is a post for another day....

No comments: