Friday, November 21, 2008

And That's Not The Half Of It....

SO...

I locked myself out of my house. Fortunately I wasn't still in my pjs. I had just decided to put a couple logs on the fire before taking my dog for a walk. I stepped out onto the deck for some wood, and the door shut. That was sometime around 3:30. Now it's 6:30, and the locksmith just let me in and is fixing the door.

It's been a heinous three hours. I spent the first one trying to break in, and trying to get my dog to put her paws on the handle--she was inside. Just that weight would have opened it, I thought. She's smart, but couldn't master that without opposible thumbs.

Then I banged on a couple neighbors' doors that I sort of know and feel comfortable with, and they weren't home. Then I went to a neighbor I wasn't comfortable with, but was home, used the phone, but did not want to stay there, plus I had a Pilates session I was due for, but no cell to call to cancel. The locksmith wasn't due for an hour, so I ran to the gym--in freezing, windy weather--used the internet and phone to let one of my students know the deal. She picked me up, brought me home and waited with me in her car until the locksmith showed up. I was to have dinner with her and the other student, sort of friends now, after Pilates anyway. They said just forget about the session, and come over as soon as I can.

When I called the locksmith company at 4:30, they said it would be an hour, maybe a little longer. When I called again at 5:45 they said if he gets there after 6 they'll have to charge me more. The guy got here at 6:02. I tried to fight that battle but he threatened to drive away.

"How do I know you just didn't take your time driving over here?" I asked.

"You don't," he said.

He is so right, and he has all the power. It's bitter cold out.

Well the guy had to drill out the door handle, so it's taking awhile to fix. I have to walk the dog before I can go to dinner, and I've been out in the weather for most of three hours and am freezing, and starving, so I don't feel much like doing that. Neither my dog, me, or my Pilates people got a workout in.

Did I mention my heat is out?

No comments: