Wednesday, January 27, 2016

Scarcity

Here in DC we just came through the storm of the century. Seriously, for the first time, the storm actually was as bad as they predicted. It lasted two days, dropped a couple feet of snow, brought blizzards winds and freezing temperatures. In this city there are not enough plows to clear even the main roads, let alone small streets like mine. Not including the weekend, the US government has been closed for three days and today there is a three-hour delay.

This might sound terrible to people from sunny climates, but I had a fantastic time during the storm. I had plenty of notice and time to get supplies, and I scored one of the last snow shovels to make it into the region. I have friends within walking distance, plus, Murphy's, the coolest Irish pub ever is not two blocks away. They already had a great reputation of staying open in storms, but I wasn't sure they could keep that up with this monster. Sure enough, they stayed open by putting up their staff in local hotels. They kept their 1:30 am last call in the height of the storm. Amazing.

So basically I ate and drank and socialized right through the storm, and got all kinds of personal things done I never have time for, I got the tax paperwork ready, re-addressed the mouse situation, etc. A gift of time with no expectations attached.

I also had to do some serious manual labor. I only have street parking, so my little car was buried beyond all recognition. I waited until it had to be done and the plow finally cleared at least a path in the street, and dug in.


Particularly far from the street plowing, I had to almost shovel my own driveway to get the car free.


It was a good workout. A few hours of manual labor hurts no one.

My co-worker/neighbor advised me by text, "Put your trash can in front of it when you leave so no one steals it." He's not alone in his thinking. I have noticed a few lawn chairs, etc. holding the few spots that have been dug out.

I don't get it. I don't own the street, and to try to save my spot while I go to work for eight hours is just plain rude. I wrote to him I was not doing that...he wrote back, "But you'll lose your spot and be driving for hours in circles in search of another one." Hey, we all knew what "street parking" meant when we moved into this precious neighborhood. You want guaranteed parking? Move to the suburbs, you might even get a garage.

Someone even resorted to this pathetic plea:



Isn't that always how it is. We're afraid there won't be enough, that we won't get what we deserve or what we've earned. We let fear drive us into protecting what is "ours."

I have learned otherwise. I have learned that there actually is enough. There is enough time in my life for what I want to do that I don't have to resent my work hours or fear I won't have time for me. I have learned that there are resources enough in almost every case, to be magnanimous, to try for big things, to step out, to be audacious, and certainly to leave a parking spot for others to use all day.

I have learned to trust myself and the universe to provide what I need, and when I do, I am rewarded. I am rewarded for getting to live that day without fear. I don't want to live in such a way that fear of scarcity affects my decisions and has me being too frugal, too stingy with my time or money and living too small. My objective in life is to develop and live bigger, which does not include hoarding a parking space.

Now...let's see if I feel the same tonight when I get home.

No comments: