Friday, September 5, 2008

Jobs

I'm going out to get a job today.

Just a part-time one. I only need it to fulfill the vision for the lifestyle I want to live here. I feel I need a little more of my own thing going on, and I want to engage in the community.

Writing is my priority--every morning until about 11 I will be here at my desk either writing, reading about writing, or reading stuff that stimulates my soul for writing. This is where I will spend my emotional energy--I don't want to spend it working for someone else right now, or I will inevitably begin to put the job first. So I'm not feeling up to using my degrees to make cash or teach at the community college--too much energy and homework. Instead, it's all about the mornings here.

I always have the fitness thing--and I'm already busy enough with that, and that's a great thing and a great physical outlet after sitting at a desk. But I've been doing that for years now, and while I love it and want to keep it going, I only want to do it for a few hours a week.

So, that leaves me wanting a small, enjoyable, lighthearted, part-time job. I'm only a few blocks from a cool touristy street with many shops, restaurants and bars, and I've decided I want to work there. It has a great vibe and I want to be a part of it, engaging with people a few hours a day, and thinking outwardly instead of inwardly--the direct opposite of sitting at my desk all morning. I think it could be a great outlet, and it's the only thing missing from the vision of the idyllic life I envisioned here--writing, riding my bike down tree-lined streets to the gym, running my dog down the Potomac, scootering around doing my errands, walking to meet friends for drinks in the evening....etc. The fun job is the last puzzle piece.

So I've got a few leads, even went to one interview. At first I thought it would be fun and creative to work at a flower shop, surrounded by beautiful flowers and learning to arrange them (and that might be it, I have an appointment next week at such a place), but now I am thinking it would be more interesting to work somewhere like a wine bar.

The interview is what changed my mind. I wasn't even thinking of "serving," but the job was advertised as working in the best bar south of NYC, so I had to check it out. It was a "speakeasy." It's a place with no sign, hidden above a casual restaurant. There's a blue light by the door on the side of the building, you have to ring a bell and someone lets you in. The guy was incredibly serious and creative about his vision for the place--it was small and dark and kind of secret, and they made all their own signature drinks. It was designed as a quiet getaway from the bustle of the street, casual but nice, a place you have to know about to get to. I loved the place, I thought I had the job, but got NO CALL BACK. I can't believe he didn't hire me, I kind of have to go find out why. I think he may have thought I was too precious in my heels to carry a tray of empty glasses up and down those stairs. He doesn't know I actually know how to work.

Anyway--I'm headed to King Street this afternoon to talk my way into one of these places--but ONLY one I'd really like spend time in, I can wait awhile longer if I need to. There's a few advertised positions I'm checking, but apart from that I'm going to hit a couple wine bars and a flower shop or two and introduce myself.

Maybe this is a ridiculous idea and I'll just pick up my hours at the gym--heaven knows I'd make more and work less. But something tells me this will be good for me.

No comments: